Monday 23 April 2012

Maybelline gel eyeliner review


Until relatively recently, Gel liner has been one of the few products that drugstore brands haven't really managed to recreate. But with Maybelline releasing their first version of Gel liner, I did wonder how the quality would compare to more pricey brands such as Bobbi Brown, and Mac. 

When it comes to pigmentation, I must admit that Bobbi Brown is slightly darker, but when applied to the eyelid, the difference is hardly noticeable, and I wouldn't pay extra just for that.

The good news is this gel liner goes on smoothly, seamlessly and with dark pigmentation. One line is dark enough and perfect to last me all day long.  The texture is of a very similar nature to the Bobbi Brown. Thick, dense and creamy which is perfect for precise application. 

The brush that comes with this liner isn't really your typical liner brush, so I was skeptical when I first saw it, as it looks more like a lip brush rather than an eyeliner brush. I have to say I actually quite like it! The tip is pointed to allow for precise application, and the synthetic bristles don't absorb too much of the product. 
 The bad news is because this product is so long wearing, it can be very difficult to get off! This liner allows a few seconds for application, and once it dries, will not budge, and will only come off with an oil based makeup remover. Depending on your skin type, this could be your saviour, but for me (I have dry-combination skin) I don't have a huge problem with my eyeliner wearing off during the day, and just like to be able to get it off easily at night without having to scrub. 

Maybelline (left), Bobbi Brown (right)
This gel liner is available in four colours, Blackest black, Brown, Charcoal, and Eggplant (a dark purple)

Overall I really like the formulation of this liner and think it is comparable to the very famous Bobbi Brown gel liner.  I will try it in another colour also, maybe eggplant. 

Maybelline Gel Liner is available at Maybelline stockists worldwide.
Love from Lilapislay xx

No comments:

Post a Comment